Texas Higher Education Assessment - THEA
The THEA test is a 5-hour test designed to provide information about the reading, math, and writing skills of students entering Texas public colleges and universities. The content of the THEA is the same as the former TASP Test. Students will need to make an appointment through the Testing Center.
- There are 3 sections to the THEA test (reading, math, and writing), each containing 40 to 50 multiple-choice questions.
- The reading section has about seven passages that are 300 to 700 words long and questions about each passage.
- The math section covers fundamental math, algebra, geometry, and problem solving.
- The writing section has a written essay of 300 to 600 words and multiple-choice questions.
- UT Tyler administers the Quick THEA, which is identical to the THEA except that test dates are set by the university and registration and payment are done on the day of the test.
- Only UT Tyler students with a student I.D. or potential students with a letter from the admissions office will be allowed to take the Quick THEA at UT Tyler.
- Students should call the Testing Center to make an appointment. A stand-by list is available once capacity is reached.
To register for the THEA, students will need to pay a non-refundable $20 proctor fee at the cashier's office (ADM 125) and bring the receipt to the Testing Center in UC 3160 by the Friday before the student's desired test date. Proctor fees are non-refundable.
Quick THEA cannot be retaken within a 30 day period, even if all three sections were not taken the first time (sections that are not taken are considered failed). However, examinees may take the THEA test on a regularly scheduled statewide test date at another test center. If only one or two section(s) of the THEA are failed, only the failed section(s) may need to be taken on later test dates.
- Bring 2 forms of identification, one with a recent photo
- Bring a check or money order made out to N.E.S for $29.00
- A 4-function calculator (+, -, *, /) with only square root and percent keys is permitted.
- Bring several No. 2 pencils with erasers. (Mechanical pencils are not allowed).
For more information, visit the THEA website at www.thea.nesinc.com/.
Test preparation materials are available for checkout in the Testing Center in UC 3160.
The University of Texas at TylerTesting Services3900 University Blvd.University Center Room 3160Tyler, Tx 75799Ph: 903.565.5693