UT Tyler Office of Marketing and Communications
UT Tyler Journalism Students Earn 18 TIPA Awards
April 11, 2011
Media Contact: Hannah Buchanan
Public Affairs Specialist
Marketing and Communications
The University of Texas at Tyler
Members of the Patriot Talon, the student newspaper at The University of Texas at Tyler, received 18 awards and was named Best in Show in their division at the 2011 Texas Intercollegiate Press Association Convention in Fort Worth, Dr. Kenneth Wink, College of Arts and Sciences interim dean, announced.
The staff’s Best in Show – Division II award is the first in the newspaper’s history. The Patriot Talon competes in Div. II, the largest of five TIPA divisions for previous published articles. In the on-site competition, where all students compete in one division despite school enrollment, Andy Taylor placed second in news writing and Kamren Thompson received honorable mention in magazine design.
“The staff should be extremely proud of their accomplishments,” said Vanessa Curry, Patriot Talon adviser. “These awards certainly reflect the quality of education they’re receiving through our department and our university.”
More than 500 student journalists representing 60 Texas colleges and universities participated in this year’s TIPA convention.
Previously published contest — Div. II UT Tyler winners were:
• Clay Ihlo — First Place Sports Feature Photo.
• Jake Waddingham — First Place Sports Action Photo.
• Andy Taylor — First Place News Story.
• Lea Rittenhouse — Second Place Photo Illustration.
• Clay Ihlo — Second Place Sports Column.
• Kamren Thompson — Second Place Illustration.
• Lea Rittenhouse — Third Place Single Subject Presentation.
• Kamren Thompson — Third Place Sports Page Design.
• Hattie Kemp — Third Place Headline Writing.
• Lea Rittenhouse — Third Place Photo Illustration.
• Lea Rittenhouse — Third Place In-Depth Reporting.
• Kamren Thompson — Third Place Feature Story.
• Jake Waddingham and Sydney Sartor — Honorable Mention Sports Feature Story.
• Kamren Thompson — Honorable Mention Feature Photo.
• Jacob Bremer — Honorable Mention Critical Review.
The Talon staff also collectively won third place in the editorial cartoon and opinion/editorial page design categories.
TIPA is one of the largest and oldest student journalism organizations in America. Each year students compete in various competitions including news writing, photography, editing, design and advertising.
For more information about the Patriot Talon, contact Curry, 903.565.5617 or email@example.com.
One of the 15 campuses of the UT System, UT Tyler offers excellence in teaching, research, artistic performance and community service. More than 80 undergraduate and graduate degrees are available at UT Tyler, which has an enrollment of more than 6,400 high-ability students at its campuses in Tyler, Longview and Palestine.