Media Contact: Hannah Buchanan
Public Affairs Specialist
News and Information
The University of Texas at Tyler
MEDIA ADVISORY: UT Tyler University Center Grand Opening April 14
The University of Texas at Tyler University Center Grand Opening Ceremony and Reception will be 11 a.m. Wednesday, April 14 at the UC Auditorium.
A tour of the building will immediately follow the public event.
- Welcome and introductions – UT Tyler President Rodney Mabry.
- National anthem.
- Remarks – President Mabry and Barbara Bass, City of Tyler mayor.
- University response – Gregg Lassen, UT Tyler executive vice president for business affairs.
- Student response – Amy Whitehouse, UT Tyler Student Government Association president.
- Ribbon cutting.
- Closing remarks – President Mabry.
Begun January 2009 and completed last month, the renovation project adds a 300-plus seat auditorium/theater along the north wall, a fully-expanded, two-story bookstore, new study lounge areas and office spaces for student government, student services, testing and other student-related programs.
“Everyone is excited about the space. The informal seating areas seem to be very popular. The Barnes and Noble at UT Tyler looks fantastic, and the new auditorium is a welcome and important addition,” said Lassen.
An expansion behind the current building was completed last year. Built in 1976, the UC is a place for students to meet, study, dine and attend campus events.
For more information, contact Hannah Buchanan, 903.565.5769.