Media Contact: Hannah Buchanan
Public Affairs Specialist
News and Information
The University of Texas at Tyler
UT Tyler Journalism Students Earn 16 TIPA Awards
Members of the Patriot Talon, the student newspaper at The University of Texas at Tyler, received 16 awards at the 2010 Texas Intercollegiate Press Association Convention in Kerrville, Dr. Alisa White, College of Arts and Sciences dean, announced.
Among awardees was UT Tyler senior Allie Abel, Patriot Talon managing editor, who won first place for press release writing in the on-site competition.
“I’m proud our students are being recognized as some of the best in the state,” said Vanessa Curry, Talon adviser. “I’m extremely proud of Allie, who is the first student with a public relations emphasis to lead the student newspaper.”
Other winners in the published contest were:
• Jackie Reader – First place Ad Design.
• Jeremy Cotham – First place Sports News Story.
• Clay Ihlo – First place In-depth Reporting.
• Aaron May – First place News Feature.
• Joseph Elerson and Aaron May – Second place News Story.
• Rachael Roeten and Jeremy Cotham – Third place Photo Illustration.
• Clay Ihlo – Third place News Story.
• Mikosha Phoenix – Third place News Photo.
• Ryann LeVrier – Honorable Mention Cartoon.
• Allen Arrick – Honorable Mention General Column.• Libby Moore and Ryan Pinkham – Honorable Mention Feature Page Design.
• Dana Bell – Honorable Mention Op/Ed Page Design.
• Jeremy Cotham – Honorable Mention Single Subject.
• Jeremy Cotham – Honorable Mention Sports Page Design.
The Talon staff also collectively won third place in the special section category.
In the previously published contest, the Talon competed in Division II for student newspapers that publish weekly at a university or college and finished tied for fourth place in overall points. The division consists of 14 schools, including Sam Houston State University, UT Brownsville, Stephen F. Austin University, Tarrant County College, UT El Paso, Del Mar College and UT San Antonio.
A second competition is conducted on-site during the convention with students from all universities and colleges competing in one division.
TIPA is one of the largest and oldest student journalism organizations in America. Each year students compete in various competitions including news writing, photography, editing, design and advertising.
For more information about the Talon, contact Curry, 903.565.5617 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
One of the 15 campuses of the UT System, UT Tyler offers excellence in teaching, research, artistic performance and community service. More than 90 undergraduate and graduate degrees are available at UT Tyler, which has an enrollment of more than 6,000 high-ability students at its campuses in Tyler, Longview and Palestine.