Media Contact: Hannah Buchanan
Public Affairs Specialist
News and Information
The University of Texas at Tyler
MEDIA ADVISORY: Sixth Annual UT Tyler College of Arts and Sciences Conference April 10
The University of Texas at Tyler will hold the sixth annual College of Arts and Sciences Interdisciplinary Conference Saturday, April 10, Dr. Victor I. Scherb, professor of English and conference coordinator, announced.
UT Tyler is co-hosting the free, public conference this year with Tyler Junior College and will offer a global theme. The annual conference is intended to bring students, faculty and the local community together to discuss a range of issues concerning globalism, communication, literature, history and engineering.
Both musical entertainment from the UT Tyler Department of Music and lunch will be provided.
The “Trans-Global Feedback: Scholarship and Connectivity in a Global Age” program includes:
Thursday, April 8 – Tyler Junior College
- 6 – 7:30 p.m. “Advancing Global Education in the Digital Age” TJC White Administration Services Center Board Room.
Saturday, April 10 – UT Tyler Ornelas Activity Center
- 10 a.m. – Arrivals and registration.
- 10:15 – 11:50 a.m. – Morning sessions.
- Noon – 12:45 p.m. – First plenary session. Dr. C. Jan Swearingen (Texas A&M University): “Confucius Say, ‘Socrates, You Talk Too Much.' Plato and Confucius, Aristotle and Mencius – the Perils and Prospects of Comparative Studies in Rhetoric."
- 12:45 p.m. – Lunch.
- 1:15 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. – Afternoon sessions.
- 3 - 3:45 p.m. – Second plenary session. Dr. Yifan Zhu [pronounced “EE-Fan Jew”] (Shanghai Jiaotong University and Fulbright Scholar, UT Austin): “Classics Beyond Borders: China Now”
For more information, contact Hannah Buchanan, 903.565.5769.