Media Contact: Hannah Buchanan
Public Affairs Specialist
News and Information
The University of Texas at Tyler
UT Tyler Art Students Recognized at 2009 Juried Student Exhibition
Art students at The University of Texas at Tyler were recognized for their work during the 2009 UT Tyler Meadows Gallery Juried Student Exhibition, Ray Sikes, Meadows Gallery coordinator, announced.
The annual student exhibition showcases the best work by art students during the academic year. Each student submitted up to three two- or three-dimensional pieces which were juried by the Department of Art and Art History faculty.
UT Tyler graduate student Allison Chew of Corsicana received the 2009 Christopher Lyon Memorial Scholarship in the amount of $1,000. Named in honor of the late UT Tyler art faculty member, the scholarship is awarded to a promising art student chosen by a department faculty selection committee.
Two-dimensional award recipients and their art pieces were:
- Best of Show – Jill Brown of Tyler, “Hello, My Name is Slade Sanchez,” oil on canvas.
- First Place –Allison Broome of Whitehouse, “Absurdities, watercolor.
- Second Place – Cierra McGuckie of Tyler, “Untitled,” oil on canvas.
- Third Place – Ashley Webb of Tyler, “Sojourn,” mixed media.
- Honorable Mention – Daisy Hoitsma of Tyler, “Knee First,” print.
- Honorable Mention – Sarah Worsham of Joaquin, “Tonicization,” mixed media.
Three-dimensional award recipients and their art pieces were:
- Best of Show –Abhidnya Ghuge of Tyler, “In a Foreign Land,” ceramic.
- First Place – John Bradley of Tyler, “Hypocrite,” wood
- Second Place – Chelsey Cope of Tyler, “What is More in Gradder Green,” steel.
- Third Place – Greg Durant of Jacksonville, “Speak Big Brother,” mixed media.
- Honorable Mention – Benjamin Wood of Overton, “Urban Sprawl,” mixed media.
- Honorable Mention – Simon Saleh of Tyler, “Untitled #1,” steel.
This year’s exhibition will continue at the gallery through Friday, Aug 14.
The Meadows Gallery is located in the UT Tyler R. Don Cowan Fine and Performing Arts Center. Gallery hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
For more information, contact Sikes, 903.566.7250 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
One of the 15 campuses of the UT System, UT Tyler offers excellence in teaching, research, artistic performance and community service. More than 90 undergraduate and graduate degrees are available at UT Tyler, which has an enrollment of more than 6,000 high-ability students at its campuses in Tyler, Longview and Palestine.