Media Contact: Hannah Buchanan
Public Affairs Specialist
News and Information
The University of Texas at Tyler
UT Tyler 2009 Student Leadership and Service Awards Announced
UT Tyler Gamma Phi Beta representatives were recognized during the 2009 Student Leadership and Service Awards Banquet, where they received "Program of the Year" for bringing the Crescent Classic to campus. UT Tyler's Colleges Against Cancer student organization also won for coordinating Relay for Life (group photo not available).
Student leaders and organizations at The University of Texas at Tyler were recognized during the 2009 Student Leadership and Service Awards Banquet, Dr. Howard Patterson, vice president for student affairs, announced.
Among awards presented, the UT Tyler Students in Free Enterprise received “Student Organization of the Year.” “Program of the Year” went to the university’s Crescent Classic: Moonball Tournament sponsored by UT Tyler Gamma Phi Beta and UT Tyler Colleges Against Cancer’s Relay for Life, the American Cancer Society’s flagship fundraiser.
University students, faculty and staff submitted nominees, and winners were chosen by a selection committee consisting of faculty and staff. The UT Tyler Office of Student Life and Leadership sponsored the awards reception.
Awards and recipients are:
- Student Government Association Perfect Attendance Awards – Mikal Huff, Sara Khalifa, Cameron Legar and Yesenia Lugo.
- SGA Perseverance Award – Aaron Hamrick.
- SGA Spirit Award – Ian McDaniel.
- SGA Extra Mile Award – Sara Khalifa.
- SGA Senator of the Year – Yesenia Lugo.
- SGA 2009 Graduates – Kerrie Anne Ambort, Tim Ballard, Aaron Hamrick, Rene Hernandez and Joseph Solomon.
- Dr. Robert L. Jones Student Leadership Award – Kerrie Anne Ambort.
- Fraternity Man of the Year – William Howard Catchings III.
- Sorority Woman of the Year – Cassie Osborn.
One of the 15 campuses of the UT System, UT Tyler offers excellence in teaching, research, artistic performance and community service. Nearly 90 undergraduate and graduate degrees are available at UT Tyler, which has an enrollment of more than 6,000 high-ability students at its campuses in Tyler, Longview and Palestine.
- President’s Volunteer Service Awards – Warren Brown and Lasi McArthur.
- Emerging Leader Awards – Ursula Diaz, Sarah Moore and Lee Trammell.
- Legacy Award – Robert Collier.
- Outstanding Student Organization President – Clint McAdams and Joseph Solomon (tie).
- Outstanding Student Organization Adviser – Karen Koerber-Timmons.
- Outstanding Student Organization Member – Mir Alikhan.
- Program of the Year – Crescent Classic: Moonball Tournament and Relay for Life (tie).
- Student Organization of the Year – Students in Free Enterprise.