Media Contact: Beverley Golden
News and Information
The University of Texas at Tyler
903.566.7303 or 903.330.0495 (cell)
MEDIA ADVISORY: Palestine Campus Groundbreaking
The University of Texas at Tyler and the UT Tyler Development Council will hold a groundbreaking ceremony for the new Palestine academic building at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 21 at the UT Tyler Palestine Campus (Loop 256 and Hwy. 287/SH 19 North).
UT Tyler President Rodney H. Mabry; David Barnard, development council chair; and Gregg Lassen, UT Tyler vice president for business affairs, will give remarks.
Parking will be at the Palestine Civic Center (1819 Hwy. 19 and Loop 256). Shuttle service will provide transportation to the groundbreaking site.
In the event of rain, the ceremony will be held at Ben E. Keith Beverages, 2019 West Oak.
Specifics of the construction project are:
- $8 million facility with 17,426 square feet.
- Projected to be completed in May 2010.
- Facility will contain general classroom and faculty office space. It will provide added space for the expansion of programs, such as nursing, where critical shortages exist throughout the state.
- This building project is the result of funds provided by the Tuition Revenue Bond and gifts from the “Paving the Way” Palestine community fundraising campaign, which is still accepting gifts.
- Barnes Gromatzky Kosarek Architects designed the facility. Hill and Wilkinson General Contractors are constructing the facility.
- Cad Williams, David Barnard and Phil Jenkins lead the “Paving the Way” campaign.
- The UT Tyler Palestine Campus was created in 1995. The campus serves students from eight surrounding counties.
For more information, contact Beverley Golden, 903.566.7303/903.330.0495 (cell) or Hannah Buchanan, 903.565.5769.