Media Contact: Beverley Golden
News and Information
The University of Texas at Tyler
903.566.7303 or 903.330.0495 (cell)
MEDIA ADVISORY: Pain Management Seminar
The University of Texas at Tyler Sigma Theta Tau International Iota Nu Chapter and the UT Tyler Office of Nursing Research and Scholarship will present a seminar on pain management on Friday, April 17 at the UT Tyler Ornelas Activity Center.
“Evidence-Based Practice: Interdisciplinary Approaches to Pain Management Across the Life Span” is a collaboration with East Texas Medical Center and UT Health Science Center at Tyler.
"Pain is the leading cause of access to the health care system in Texas, and it is estimated that about 11 million persons in Texas suffer from unrelieved pain. Quality of life, economic livelihood and other factors are adversely affected with unrelieved pain,” said Dr. Gloria Duke, UT Tyler associate professor of nursing.
A lack of meaningful pain education content in both medical and nursing education curricula has been demonstrated, and a recent study conducted by the Texas Pain Advocacy and Information
Network revealed significant attitude and knowledge issues that may result in ineffective pain management in Texas, she added.
The keynote speakers will be:
- Lynn Clark( RN, MS, BC, CPNP-PC), nurse practitioner for the Pain Management Service at Children’s Medical Center.
- Dr. Larry C. Driver (M.D.), professor in the Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine at UT MD Anderson Cancer Center.
The day’s agenda will be:
- 7:15 a.m. – Registration/continental breakfast
- 8:15 a.m. – Welcome
- 8:30 a.m. – Ethics of Pain Management, Dr. Larry Driver
- 9:30 a.m. – Break
- 9:45 a.m. – Breakout sessions
- 12 p.m. – Lunch
- 12:45 p.m. – Pain in Children: Myths and Facts, Lynn Clark
- 1:45 p.m. – Breakout sessions
- 3:15 p.m. – Break
- 3:30 p.m. – Interactive Session: Developing Interdisciplinary Pain Management Teams
- 4:30 p.m. – Evaluations and adjournment
For more information, contact Beverley Golden, 903.566.7303/903.330.0495 (cell) or Hannah Buchanan, 903.565.5769.