Media Contact: Hannah Buchanan
Public Affairs Specialist
News and Information
The University of Texas at Tyler
MEDIA ADVISORY: 2009 Relay for Life at UT Tyler
The University of Texas at Tyler Colleges Against Cancer student chapter will hold the American Cancer Society’s flagship fundraiser “Relay For Life” 6 p.m. – 6 a.m. April 17 – 18 at the UT Tyler intramural soccer fields.
Relay For Life is an overnight event designed to celebrate cancer survivorship, remember those lost to the disease and raise money for research and programs. More than 20 university teams will participate this year. The public is invited to attend.
For the first time in four years, UT Tyler students will be joined by student groups from Tyler Junior College.
UT Tyler’s fundraising goal is $27,000.
The tentative schedule is:
- 6 p.m. Opening ceremony.
- 9 p.m. Luminaria ceremony. Candles are lit in honor of someone who has survived or died from cancer.
- 12 a.m. “Patch Adams” movie.
- 2 a.m. Band Corner Work to perform.
- 3 a.m. “Quantum of Solace” movie.
- 5:30 a.m. Closing ceremony.
For more information, call Hannah Buchanan, 903.565.5769.