Media Contact: Hannah Buchanan
Public Affairs Specialist
News and Information
The University of Texas at Tyler
UT Tyler Students, Organizations Win Awards
Members of the university's Baptist Student Ministry and Black Student Association pose for a photo during the 2008 Student Leadership and Service Awards presented by the UT Tyler Office of Student Development. "Program of the Year" went to the BSA's Unity Picnic and BSM's Noon Lunch.
Student leaders and organizations at The University of Texas at Tyler were awarded top honors during the 2008 Student Leadership and Service Awards Banquet, Dr. Howard Patterson, vice president for student affairs, announced.
Among awards presented, the UT Tyler Black Student Association received “Student Organization of the Year.” “Program of the Year” went to the BSA’s Unity Pinic and the Baptist Student Ministry Noon Lunch.
UT Tyler students, faculty and staff submitted nominees, and winners were chosen by a selection committee consisting of faculty and staff.
The UT Tyler Office of Student Development presented this year’s reception.
Awards and recipients are:
- Student Government Association Senator of the Year – Nancy Palencia.
- SGA Extra Mile Award – John Burden.
- SGA Service Award – Cameron Leger.
- SGA Perfect Attendance Awards – Matt Mlcak, Lacey Mlcak, Kimberly Meloni, John Burden and Kerrie Ambort.
- Fraternity Man of the Year – David Thompson with Pi Kappa Phi.
- Sorority Woman of the Year – Christa Wilke with Delta Gamma Women’s Fraternity.
- 2008 Greek Cup – Pi Kappa Phi.
- Spirit of Service Award – Delta Gamma Women’s Fraternity.
The President’s Volunteer Service Awards are an initiative of the President’s Council on Service and Civic Participation. Awards are given based upon volunteer service hours.
- Heather McBride – Gold level (500 or more hours).
- Matt Laney – Bronze level (100-174 hours).
- Volunteer of the Year – Heather McBride.
- Emerging Leader Award – Meredith Houston and Lauren Bartlett (tie).
- Legacy Award – Greg Colvin.
- Student Leader Spotlight of the Year – Adam Lankford.
- Outstanding Student Organization President – Veronica Huff and Melissa Smith (tie).
- Outstanding Student Organization Adviser – Ashley Ward.
- Outstanding Student Organization Member – Sara Edwards.
- Program of the Year – Unity Picnic and BSM Noon Lunch (tie).
- Student Organization of the Year – Black Student Association.
One of the 15 campuses of the UT System, UT Tyler offers excellence in teaching, research, artistic performance and community service. More than 90 undergraduate and graduate degrees are available at UT Tyler, which has an enrollment of more than 6,000 high-ability students at its campuses in Tyler, Longview and Palestine.