Media Contact: Hannah Buchanan
Public Affairs Specialist
News and Information
The University of Texas at Tyler
UT Tyler Journalism Students Win 25 TIPA Awards
The University of Texas at Tyler Patriot Talon student newspaper staff won 25 awards, including 10 first-place honors, in a state-wide competition held April 3 – 5, Dr. Alisa White, College of Arts and Sciences dean, announced.
During this year’s Texas Intercollegiate Press Association Spring Conference in Bryan-College Station, associate editor Allen Arrick also received one of four Frank W. Buckley Scholarships awarded at Saturday’s banquet.
The newspaper staff received an honorable mention in the Best of Show category, and associate editor Travis Webb received first place in the live competition for headline writing. Webb also finished third in the live competition for editorial writing.
The live competition conducted Thursday allowed college journalism students from all over the state to compete with each other without regard to their institution’s enrollment.
Other TIPA awards are based upon school enrollment and frequency of publication. In overall points, the Talon finished third behind North Lake College and UT Dallas. The Talon finished ahead of seven other Division 4 colleges.
“Our students continue to rank at the top of this division against much larger schools,” said
Vanessa Curry, Patriot Talon adviser and lecturer in journalism. “The students should be very proud of their accomplishments.”
A complete list of awards for UT Tyler are:
- News story – Erin Buller, former editor in chief
- News photo – Kyle G. Horst, entertainment editor/photographer
- Sport page design, sports news and sports feature story – Jeremy Cotham, sport editor
- Sports action photo and sports feature photo – Michelle Morse, photo editor
- General column – Jenny Simmons, opinion page editor
- Editorial – Arrick, Buller and Webb
- Headline writing (live contest) – Webb
- Headline writing – Arrick
- In-depth reporting – Buller
- Informational graphic, single subject presentation, feature page design and feature story – Arrick
- Ad design – Simmons
- Editorial writing (live contest) – Webb
- Special section – Cotham, Horst and India Moss, staff
- Feature photo and sports action photo – Morse
- Picture story – Horst, Nora Al Jumah, Morse and Jacob Reich, photographers
- News feature story – Webb
- Informational graphic and op/ed page design – Arrick
One of the 15 campuses of the UT System, UT Tyler offers excellence in teaching, research, artistic performance and community service. More than 90 undergraduate and graduate degrees are available at UT Tyler, which has an enrollment of more than 6,000 high-ability students at its campuses in Tyler, Longview and Palestine.