The University of Texas at Tyler will hold Patriot Day Commemoration 2007, 3:30 – 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 11 at the UT Tyler University Center, Dr. Rodney H. Mabry, UT Tyler President, announced.
The commemoration titled Building a Safer, More Compassionate World, is free and open to the public. It will include a forum of four keynote speakers, question and answer session and a goodwill expo.
Patriot Day Commemoration tentative schedule:
- 3 - 3:30 p.m. Registration.
- 3:30 – 3:55 p.m. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance by Vecky Elliott, interim president of UT Tyler Pi Sigma Alpha Chapter and Tyler Collegiate Model United Nations Club; with proclamation by Mayor Joey Seeber and video presentation: In Their Own Voices.
- 3:55 p.m. Remarks by event moderator Dr. Robert Sterken, UT Tyler associate professor of political science.
- 4 – 4:45 p.m. Forum by speakers: Marianne Scott, executive director of Our Voices Together, Washington, DC; Hannah Walker, director of Family Services and Tyler Habitat for Humanity; Anwar Khalifa, community activist and president of East Texas Islamic Society; and Becky Raymond, peace activist.
- 4:45 – 5:20 p.m. Audience questions and comments.
- 5:20 – 5:35 p.m. Essay contest results, thanks by Vecky Elliott.
- 5:35 p.m. – Closing remarks by Dee Brock, president of League of Women Voters of Tyler/Smith County.
- 5:40 – 6 p.m. Goodwill expo.
The event is made possible by a grant from the League of Women Voters Education Fund and Our Voices Together.
For more information, contact Hannah Buchanan, 903.565.5769 or Beverley Golden, 903.566.7303.