The University of Texas at Tyler track club set several records at the recent American Southwest Conference Championships, according to Bob Hepler, UT Tyler director of recreational sports and cross country head coach.
Fourteen UT Tyler students, including cross country team members, participated in the track and field competition which took place April 20-21 at Mississippi College. Events included the 10,000 meters, 5000 meters, 3000 steeplechase, 1500 meters, 800 meters, 200 meters and 100 meter.
Warren Brown won the men’s 5000 with a record time of 15:45, while in the women’s 10,000 meters Charity Bolling came in first with a time of 44:15.
“We set five ASC records, won six events and got plenty of seconds and thirds,” Hepler said. “We were awesome.”
UT Tyler participates in 13 men’s and women’s sports, however track is not one officially sponsored.
“The track club is open to all. For the cross country runners, this is our part of the spring cross country season,” Hepler said.
Complete UT Tyler results are as follows: (* deems an ASC Meet Record)
- Women’s 5000: Charity Bolling, 2nd place 22:07.
- Men’s 800: Ben Donnan, 1st place 1:56.3*; and
- Bojan Kajtaz, 5th place 2:05.
- Men’s 5000: Warren Brown, 1st place 15:45*; Corey Kellam, 2nd Place 15:50; RJ Cowan, 3rd place 16:06; and Chauncey Deller, 4th place 16:32.
- Men’s 1500: Ben Donnan, 1st Place 3:59.2*; and Bojan Kajtaz, 4th place 4:12.
- Men’s 3000 Steeplechase: Ben Donnan, 1st place 9:39.88*.
- Women’s 10,000 meters: Charity Bolling, 1st place 44:15.
- Men’s 10,000 meters: Warren Brown, 1st place 32:25.98*; Corey Kellam, 2nd Place 32:53.40; and Chauncey Deller, 4th place 34:28.
One of the 15 campuses of the UT System, UT Tyler offers excellence in teaching, research, artistic performance and community service. More than 70 undergraduate and graduate degrees are available at UT Tyler, which has an enrollment of nearly 6,000 high-ability students at its campuses in Tyler, Longview and Palestine.