Freshmen Invited to Participate in Assessment
UT Tyler freshmen, along with freshmen at the other eight UT campuses, will participate in the Collegiate Learning Assessment conducted by the RAND Corporation this fall. This is the third year
UT Tyler is participating in the assessment program.
This project, a study of college student learning, will allow the university to understand how it contributes to the skill development of students.
Seventy five UT Tyler freshmen are needed to participate in the assessment during this semester which should be done prior to October 31. Participation forms and information will be distributed to freshmen in Freshman Year Experience classes. Students also can pick up a copy of the form in UC111B.
PARTICIPANTS WILL BE ASKED TO:
- Complete one or more testing instruments in a 90-minute assessment period that will require written responses (such as short answers or essays).
- Complete a questionnaire about completing these testing instruments and about their experiences in college.
- Permit the release of their college admissions test scores (SAT and/or ACT), placement exam scores and GPA to RAND researchers.
BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATION INCLUDE:
- Opportunity to receive an individual assessment of your demonstrated ability in critical thinking, analytic reasoning, problem solving and written communication.
- Ability to access your score (and a range for comparison to other students’ scores) anonymously via a project Web site.
- Provide UT Tyler freshman comparison data for use with senior assessment data to determine how well UT Tyler prepares its graduates. This will help the university to continue to build its high quality academic programs for all students.
- UT Tyler will deposit $50 to each participating student’s P-2 card.