University Enhances Student Center
Construction of the University Center addition has begun.
A large portion of the area behind the UC has been fenced off as a construction site, and demolition will begin Monday, Aug. 28.
“Students will benefit from the food services and meeting space that will be housed in the UC Addition,” said Dr. Dale Lunsford, vice president of student affairs and external relations. “Completion is expected during the next academic year. In the meantime, we ask for everyone's patience with the construction."
The restricted construction site area will make some regularly used entrances to the Met dining area, UC and Ornelas Residence Hall unavailable.
Alternate routes are as follows:
From the University Center to The Met in the Health and Physical Education Building:
- Exit the UC front entrance and proceed to the right to the HPE Building. Enter the HPE Building on the southwest side, which faces the construction or on the northeast side, which faces the tennis courts.
From the University Center to Ornelas Residence Hall:
- Exit the UC front entrance and proceed to the right as if going to the Met. Continue past the HPE Building and the Power Plant South. Enter the ORH front entrance on the southeast side, which faces Lake Drive.
From Ornelas Hall to locations on the north and northwest sides of campus:
- Exit Ornelas Hall front entrance and access the portion of the Wellness Trail that is adjacent to Harvey Lake. Or, exit left out of the Ornelas Hall front entrance and go around the HPE and UC Buildings.
From Ornelas Hall to The Met:
- Exit Ornelas Hall front entrance and proceed to the left on the sidewalk and access drive near the Power Plant. Enter the HPE entrance facing parking lot 15.
From the Cashier’s Office on the first floor of the Administration Building to the University Center:
- Exit left from the Cashier’s Office and proceed to the stairwell on the right. Exit stairwell on the second floor and proceed down the breezeway to the UC.
For questions about disability access, please contact the Student Services Office, 903.566.7254.
The $11 million three-story addition to the University Center will provide 38,000 additional square feet of dining, meeting and recreation facilities.
A spacious student restaurant will be housed on the building’s first floor. Two-story glass walls will give students, residential and commuter, a view of Harvey Lake for breakfast, lunch and dinner meals.
The second floor will contain another restaurant with recreation space for pool tables, video games and student activities. This restaurant will have a sports-theme and feature large video displays for televised sporting events.
The third floor will house offices, meeting rooms and work areas for student government, Greek life and student organizations. A ballroom will also be added for hosting bigger events, such as banquets, conferences or concerts.
Expected date of completion is December 2007.
Follow this link for map